Who doesn’t just love biscuits and gravy? I grew up in the South and my family has been there for at least 200 years. In the South we know how to do breakfast and biscuits and gravy are a big part of a good breakfast! I think my love of food comes from my Southern roots. Some of my most favorite memories are tied to food. My great grandmother, Mamaw, used to make a big Sunday breakfast for the entire family. I mean the ENTIRE family! She was one of 13 kids, (she came from a big Catholic family) and they would come, along with their kids and grand kids and so on. She lived in a tiny house in Norfolk, VA with a teeny tiny kitchen and there were just way too many of us. We’d all wait outside on the yard playing and catching up and then take turns, two or three at a time, going into the kitchen for our breakfast.
Saturday night my boys and I were snuggling in my bed watching Giada de Laurentiis make a big pancake breakfast for some firemen (I know awesome, right) and they asked for a big breakfast. I was just gonna do pancakes and bacon but then inspiration and my Mamaw’s memory struck and a HUGE breakfast was made. I reverted back to my Southern roots and cooked the bacon, then the sausage in the bacon grease, then the eggs in the bacon grease, THEN used the bacon grease to make the gravy. Not a drop of bacon grease was wasted in the making of this breakfast! This meal is not an every weekend meal but a once in a great while meal. I joked on Instagram (come follow me if your not) that I would have to juice for a week to make it up to my body! These biscuits aren’t my Mamaw’s recipe. Her’s were GIANT yeast rolls and I’ll be sharing those with you all before Thanksgiving. These are delicious buttermilk biscuits and they’re so easy to make that you’ll wonder why you aren’t making these all the time! The gravy couldn’t be any easier either! It comes together faster than the package of powder mix you get in the grocery store. When you make this for your family they’ll think you’re a cooking super star and no one has to know how easy it was.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 c. of all-purpose flour plus more for dusting the counter
- ¼ t baking soda
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 6 T butter, frozen and cut into cubes
- 1 c of buttermilk, more if dough is dry
- preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter into a food processor
- pulse until resembles course meal. (if no food processor cut butter into dry mixture with a pastry cutter or fork)
- pour mixture into a large bowl and add the buttermilk
- stir together until just combined (don’t over mix)
- dough should be very sticky, if it’s dry add more buttermilk one tablespoon at a time
- dust counter with flour and turn out dough
- sprinkle more flour on top of dough and using hands form a circle and flatten to ½ inch
- using a biscuit cutter cut out biscuits and place in a cast iron dish or round baking pan close together
- bake in over 1-15 min until golden brown on top
Southern Breakfast Gravy
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ¼ c bacon grease
- 4 slices of bacon, crumbled
- ¼ c flour
- 1½ to 2 c of milk, warmed
- heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet or regular if you don’t have cast iron
- whisk in flour and stir until lumps are out and cook for 1-2 min to cook the flour
- slowly whisk in 1½ c of the warm milk and bring to a boil if too thick add more milk until desired consistency reached.
- taste to see if salt and pepper needed, this depends on the saltiness of bacon grease
- add in bacon crumbles and serve warm over biscuits, egg, sausage or anything you want!